These guidelines are for students already approved by Student Disability Services (SDS) to use the CULift paratransit service. More information is available on our Transportation Accommodations page.
Description of Service
- The CULift Program is a pre-arranged shuttle service designed to help provide access to classes and on-campus activities for students with temporary and permanent disabilities that affect mobility. It runs on and near campus (map). The SDS Transportation Coordinator will make decisions about ride requests based on the CULift’s mission and available resources.
- Hours of operation for spring/fall semester when classes are in session are 7:45am–10:00pm, Monday–Friday. Hours may be limited at other times. The CULift does not operate on the weekends.
- Questions about access to the service should be directed to Student Disability Services: 607-254-4545, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You are responsible for entering all ride requests on the online scheduling website and planning well ahead when using the service. We cannot honor late requests for rides. Rides must be scheduled by 10am the business day before you need them. Rides for Monday must be entered by 10am Friday.
- Show up for all scheduled rides. Be on time for all scheduled rides. Make sure that you are waiting outside the building for your ride at least five minutes before its scheduled time. The CULift vehicle may arrive from anywhere up to five minutes before your scheduled ride to five minutes after. The CULift driver will not wait for you past your scheduled time and will not return to pick you up if you have missed your ride.
- Schedule pick up times for when you reasonably think you will be outside and ready for the ride. Allow yourself enough time to leave your residence, class, or appointment to arrive on time at the location where CULift will pick you up.
- Allow at least 20 minutes between “pickup time” and “arrival time” unless the ride is for back-to-back classes. Rides that request less time may be adjusted.
- Do not schedule rides back and forth to/from your residence throughout the day, unless you have a gap in your schedule of two hours or more.
- Ride requests are reviewed and may be adjusted. Check your email and/or the online schedule for notifications and changes.
- Rides are for academic, curricular, co-curricular, and on campus work. Rides are not available for you to get food or to visit friends. If you have concerns about that, contact SDS.
- Rides are only for the approved rider unless SDS determines that an attendant is needed for accessibility reasons.
There are additional guidelines in place due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- If the university emails you about completing the Daily Check, you must complete it and be cleared each day before using the CULift.
- A mask or face covering must be worn at all times while within the CULift vehicle.
- Maintain distancing as best as possible while using CULift. You must ride in the back seat unless both seats in the back are already taken. There are physical barriers within the vehicle to aid in this separation.
- The CULift driver cannot provide you with any kind of physical assistance.
- Do not use the CULift if you are experiencing any coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, are in isolation, are in quarantine, or meet any of the guidelines for quarantine.
- The CULift cannot be used for travel for any diagnostic testing for the coronavirus (COVID-19). If you are going to Cornell Health for testing, they can make transportation arrangements for you when you call them to schedule the testing. They can send an accessible vehicle to take you to/from testing, if needed. Just let them know when scheduling.
- The CULift can be used for Cornell's surveillance testing provided that you have no symptoms, have no known exposure, you schedule your rides in advance, and are traveling within the CULift service area (map).
- When you are able to schedule the testing the night before, if the testing time does not match your scheduled CULift rides, please email email@example.com that evening. We will follow up with you first thing in the morning to coordinate a change to those scheduled rides.
- Let your driver know if you have trouble hearing or understanding them due to their face covering or the dividing barrier in the vehicle so that appropriate alternate arrangements can be made for communication.
- While the vehicles are cleaned regularly throughout the day, use the hand sanitizer and/or disinfecting wipes in the vehicle as you need. If you have concerns about riding in shared vehicles, please let SDS know.
Schedule Changes and Ride Cancellations
- Use the scheduling website to make any changes to your schedule by 10:00am the business day before the needed ride.
- Late schedule change requests are not to be made with the CULift driver.
- Unneeded rides must be cancelled.
- Cancellation of a ride can be made online up to two hours before the ride. Cancellations with less notice need to be called in (or emailed in before 3:45pm). See contact info below.
- Questions about scheduled rides can be made by calling the CULift dispatcher at: (607) 254-8293 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before 3:45pm, or (for night rides) by calling (607) 229-6010 after 3:45pm.
- Questions emailed to: email@example.com are only answered during regular business hours.
Failure to Comply
To use the service, you must agree to the above guidelines. Failure to comply may result in SDS re-evaluating your access to this service.