Visit the Cornell Housing website to learn about more about the different types of housing available here at Cornell.

View our Frequently Asked Questions about housing!

Read more about religious observance housing accommodations at Cornell.

What are disability-related housing accommodations?

A disability is defined as a condition that substantially impacts one or more major life functions (such as walking, breathing, learning, hearing, thinking, etc.).

Examples of disability-related housing accommodations:

  • A wheelchair-accessible room
  • A ground floor room, or a room near an elevator
  • Access to a private bathroom, or a low-use shared bathroom
  • Strobe alarms in the room
  • Air filtration and/or air conditioning in the room

What to know about Cornell housing

The residence halls on campus vary widely in features.

  • Not all buildings have elevators.
  • Most do not have air conditioning.
  • Many are carpeted.
  • Only some are newer buildings.
  • Single occupancy rooms are limited.
  • Bathrooms are generally shared with other students in your suite or on your floor (numbers vary).
  • Pets are not allowed (emotional support animals allowed by prior permission only).

It is so important that we hear from your early if you think if you have specific disability-related needs around housing. If we hear from you after the Housing Office has made their housing room assignments, there likely will not be a room that meets your need(s) available and you will need to be placed on a wait list for something to open up later.

If you have a religion-related housing request, visit Cornell's page on Religious Observance Accommodations to make that request.

Requesting Disability-Related Housing Accommodations

Step 1: Apply for Campus Housing

  • Complete the Housing Application process outlined by the Housing Office. You must do this to secure housing on campus, even if you need housing accommodations.
  • If you currently live in a program house, or are seeking housing for Junior/Senior year, you should participate in Housing’s Room Selection Process. See "Important Info" below.

Step 2: Determine What to Request

Step 3: Request Disability-Related Housing Accommodations

Step 4: Await Communication from SDS and/or Housing Office

  • SDS will follow up with you to discuss next steps
    • If you are required to live on campus and are approved for housing accommodations, we will work with the Housing Office to arrange an appropriate housing option for you. If you meet the deadlines (below), this will take place prior to general room selection and placement. If you miss the deadline, you may be placed on a waitlist.
  • The Housing Office will communicate with you regarding housing placement. You are responsible for meeting all of the Housing Office's deadlines and requirements.
  • You will be contacted at your Cornell email address.


It is best for us to receive complete information from you by a certain date in order to facilitate the accommodation process: 

Newly-admitted freshmen

  • Fall admits: May 15
  • Spring admits: December 15

Rising sophomores

  • February 1

Rising Juniors/Seniors

  • See "Important Info" below for deadlines

Summer students

  • May 31

Transfer, graduate, and professional students:

  • Housing options are limited. Start the registration process with our office as soon as you have confirmed your admission to Cornell.

If we hear from you after your deadline, we can still work with you to try to identify an appropriate housing option, however availability will be more limited. We can put you on a waiting list to be reassigned to a room that meets your needs, but cannot guarantee one will become available. 

If you are looking to continue existing housing disability accommodations, please see important info below for those timelines.

Important Info to Continue Housing Accommodations for Next Year

This section is being updated. Please check back after December 1st , 2023.

What to Know

What you need to know about choosing on-campus housing and disability housing accommodations:

  • On-campus housing is not guaranteed for juniors and seniors
  • Disability-related housing accommodations are not guaranteed from one year to the next, or automatically arranged for you.
  • If your current room assignment meets your disability access needs, your best chance at securing a room that meets your needs is to participate in "Same Room Selection" and/or "Same Building/Community Selection." 
  • You are responsible for self-selecting your room and contacting the Housing office if it does not meet your disability access need.
  • If you do not secure a spot on campus through the room selection process, you will need to arrange to live off campus. 

Steps to Renew Disability Housing Accommodations

Follow these steps if you are already approved for a housing accommodation through SDS and you wish to live on campus next year: 

  1. Participate and sign a contract through one of the following processes:
    (See Housing’s website for dates)
    • Same Room Selection and Roommate Pull-in
    • Same Building/Community Selection and Roommate Pull-in
    • General Room Selection
    Note: If your RHD/HAD lets you know that your current room is not eligible for Same Room Selection, please email the Housing Office ASAP for instructions.
  2. Should you select a room that does not meet your access needs, please email the Housing Office no later than 5pm on October 5 to be placed on a priority waitlist for reassignment.

The Housing Office will be sending out emails and has information on their website; please review that information and your responsibilities carefully. Please note that all students must complete the Residential Application via the Housing Portal.  

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

I heard there is an early September deadline to apply for disability housing accommodations for junior/senior year. Is this true?

This is false. Same Room Selection begins in early September, and then cascades through the other room selection options.  

I’m currently (right now) on the waitlist for a room change for my current housing assignment, so I’m not currently in a spot that meets my approved accommodations. What do I do?

You have to decide what is the best way for you to secure a contract for next year. Carefully consider the options listed in step 1 above.   

How do I request a new accommodation for next year that I’m not currently approved for?

First, go through room selection and select a room. It’s possible you may be able to select a room that meets your access needs. If the room you select doesn’t meet your access needs, complete an additional request form and share any supporting information/documentation at that time. We will begin to review these requests after rising junior/senior room selection has fully concluded, but not before. We will reach out to you via email when we have completed our review. Please do not contact us for a status update (emails/calls will result in a longer wait time). If approved, you will be placed on a waitlist.