Through an interactive process, Student Disability Services (SDS) determines eligibility for accessible format materials as an accommodation. Once you have met with your SDS counselor, and have been approved to receive accessible formats of course materials, you will receive an email with information on how to submit your requests. You will also have an opportunity to complete and submit the Assistive Technology Intake Form (pdf).
Steps for Receiving Accessible Formats of Course Material
- Sign in to SDS Online Services. You will be prompted to read and digitally sign an Electronic Text Distribution Agreement. This agreement outlines your responsibilities as a student who is approved for the alternative formats accommodations, and our responsibility to provide accessible formats to you.
- Select your accommodations. Scroll down and you should see a list of your classes. Select each class, then check the box next to each accommodation you require for that class. For alternate formats, be sure to check the "Electronic Text," "Large Print," or "Braille" box, depending on what you need. Most students will receive Electronic Text.
Depending on when you are requesting your materials, you may not see all of your accommodations listed. If that is the case, you will have the opportunity to modify your accommodations after meeting with your SDS counselor. You can still proceed with the process of requesting your accessible format text even if your other accommodations have not yet been finalized.
- Click on “Alternative Formats” to begin requesting materials. You will see a list of the classes you are registered for and the corresponding materials list. Please select only the materials you need in an accessible format. The request should be received by SDS at least four weeks before the material is needed, if possible. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
- Submit receipts for requested material. SDS works with publishers and other third party vendors to obtain electronic versions of textbooks and other materials, when available. We are required to obtain proof of purchase for any published content. We will email you to request your receipt once the material is available and ready for download. For quicker delivery of accessible material, you may upload your receipts to SDS Online Services, or you may send proof of purchase to firstname.lastname@example.org, or bring copies to our office.
- Bring in copies of your course packets and/or text material as requested. If your requested material is not available from the publisher, we will contact you to ask for a hard copy of the material. We use the hard copy you provide to create your accessible copy of the material. As part of the process, we remove the binding (spine) of the book. For that reason, please make sure you own the book that you provide us, and that it is not a rented or borrowed text. SDS is not responsible for the replacement costs of rented material. Books that are cut to make your accessible copy are re-bound using plastic combs. These books cannot be resold to the campus store.
- Your digital accessible material will be provided to you through Cornell Box, or it will be available to be picked up from our office as an enlarged hard copy or Braille document, as needed.