Guide to Applying for On-Campus Housing and Requesting Housing Disability Accommodations
The information below is only for students currently at Cornell
If you are a newly admitted student to Cornell, please be sure to submit your housing preference form on the New Students' website once it becomes available in addition to submitting our Disability Self-Disclosure form.
Process for Current First-Year Students
- Attend a Housing Info Session or Q&A to learn about your housing options for next year and the on-campus housing application process. If you live in a Program House and wish to remain there, avail yourself of their Continued Occupancy Program now to secure a room for next year.
- Apply to Live on Campus for Next Academic Year: In late January, the online housing application will be available on the Housing website. Watch for an email from the Housing Office. All students must apply to indicate their desire to live on campus again next year and to generate their housing contract!
- Request Disability Housing Accommodations: You must meet with your SDS counselor at the start of Spring semester. You may be asked to provide updated disability documentation that supports your request.
- Your request must be approved by your counselor by February 21st, so make sure you have submitted documentation and have scheduled your follow up meeting with you counselor well before then.
Once you are approved for housing accommodations for next year, SDS will work with the Housing Office before general room selection to assign you to a room. This means you will not participate in the open lottery general room selection process/room blocking (which occurs mid-March); you will receive your housing assignment/contract before then.
Process for Upper-Level Students
- Participate in Community’s Continued Occupancy Program: Since on-campus housing is not guaranteed for rising juniors and seniors, anyone living on West Campus, in a Program House, or in Collegetown should avail themselves early in the Fall semester of their community’s Continued Occupancy (CO) Program to secure a room for the following year.
- Learn about On-Campus Housing Options and Process: If you are interested in moving into another community on campus, consider attending a Housing Info Session, Q&A, and/or tours taking place in Fall and early Spring semester to learn more about applying to move elsewhere (see the List of Important Dates for Housing for dates and times of these opportunities).
- Apply to Live on Campus for Next Academic Year: In late January, the online housing application will go live and be available on the Housing website and emailed to you from the Housing Office. All students must apply in order to indicate their desire to live on campus again next year and to generate their housing contract!
- Participate in the In-House Continued Occupancy (CO) Room Selection Process which typically occurs in February. Ask your Residential Staff for specific dates/times.
- If you are unable to secure a room via CO process, let your SDS counselor know! You may be asked to provide updated medical documentation supporting your need for accessible housing.
- Your housing request through SDS must be approved by your counselor by February 7th, so make sure you have submitted documentation and have scheduled a follow up meeting with you counselor well before then.
Opportunities to Learn About On-Campus Housing Options and Process
- Housing Beyond the First Year Info Sessions
- Housing Selection Q&A Sessions
- Tours and Room Demos
Information about these events will be announced on the Housing Calendar.