Skip to main content

more options

Policies & Procedures

Housing Accommodations Procedures

Accessible housing is available to students who have disabilities that substantially limit one or more major life activities. In collaboration with the Housing Office, accessible rooms are assigned on a case-by-case basis. Eligibility for accessible housing is determined by:

  1. The impact of the student's disability as it pertains to residential housing,
  2. Available housing options, and
  3. The student's class. On campus housing is guaranteed for first-year, transfer and rising sophomore students only. This guarantee is conditional upon meeting college and housing application deadlines.

    Please note that students are not required to live on campus.

Requests for accessible housing that are submitted after the SDS deadline will be considered for those students who meet the eligibility criteria. There is no guarantee that a room will become available or that available rooms will meet a student's specific access neets.

Incoming Students

If you are an incoming undergraduate or graduate student and plan to live on campus:

  1. Submit current disability documentation to SDS by May 15th,
  2. Complete the Housing Application required by the Housing Office (available on the "New Students" website's "To Do List."), and
  3. Submit a completed Disability Self-Disclosure and Request for Access Accommodations Form, found on the SDS website:

Information from these forms will allow SDS staff to determine appropriate eligibility and accessible housing options. For further information on the housing process and where to find forms, contact the Housing Office directly at 607-255-5368 or by email at

Continuing Students

Students with disabilities who wish to live on campus after the first year must request housing accommodations each year. To begin the process, sign up for the Online Room Selection Process at to indicate your commitment to live on campus. If you have not previously registered with SDS, complete and submit a Disability Self-Disclosure and Request for Access Accommodations Form. Then you must meet with an SDS counselor no later than the second week of February to make your request for the fall term. Call 607-254-4545 to schedule an appointment. Appropriate disability documentation must be on file with SDS before we will recommend an accessible housing placement to the Housing Office.