Skip to main content

more options

Other Accommodations

Transportation Accommodations and Information

Transportation assistance is available through SDS to students with temporary or permanent mobility impairments. The accommodations available include free bus passes, the approval of accessible parking permits, which are then purchased by the student from Commuter and Parking Services, or the use of CULift, the Cornell paratransit service that provides scheduled on-campus rides for classes and extra-curricular activities. For policies and procedures regarding transportation services, please visit Procedures for Transportation Accommodations.

Transportation Intake Appointments

In order to determine the appropriate transportation services and to address any other access issues, students must meet with the Transportation Coordinator. Rides to SDS for an intake interview from locations within the service area can be arranged with sufficient notice. Please call SDS at 607-254-4545 for more information or to schedule an appointment. Please note that advanced notice is required to arrange rides.

Intake appointments are generally between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. By making an appointment in advance, an SDS staff member will be readily available to meet with you.

Bus Passes


Accessible Parking

Other Transportation Resources

Bus Passes

For most students with mobility disabilities, bus passes provide enough flexibility for getting around campus. SDS will provide short-term or long- passes at no charge to the student. These passes allow students to take TCAT buses anywhere on campus, as well as throughout the Ithaca area, seven days a week.

Return to Top

Accessible Parking

Students who live off campus and have cars may find accessible parking an appropriate option. Students must register with SDS and provide disability documentation to SDS. After SDS approves an accessible parking permit, it is then purchased by the student from Commuter and Parking Services.
Please note that SDS cannot approve accessible parking for more than two months unless the student has obtained a municipality-issued accessible parking hangtag or license plate.

Return to Top


The CULift is an on-campus transportation service available to students with mobility disabilities, whether permanent or temporary. Student Disability Services works in conjunction with Red Runner Courier Service to offer the CULift service free of charge to students who need rides from their on or near campus housing to campus buildings and peripheral parking lots. CULift rides may supplement the use of the TCAT bus system. Please check with SDS to see if your off-campus housing is in the CULift service area.

The CULift operates from 7:45 AM to 9:45 PM, Monday through Friday when classes are in session (7:45 AM to 4:00 PM in summer). Students using the CULift service must be familiar with and adhere to the guidelines of the program. Due to the large volume of use, all additions to a student's ride schedule must be made by 10 AM the business day before the requested ride. The CULift guidelines can be found at:

Understanding that broken legs, sprained ankles and other similar injuries are unplanned, and students often need rides immediately, SDS will make every effort to provide next-day initial rides for new students registering with CULift.

Once approved for CULift, students are expected to use the on-line ride scheduling system for requesting rides: This site requires Kerberos authentication and can only be used by approved students.

Here is a map of the CULift coverage area:


If a student has a concern about whether the CULift services the area they live in, they should contact our office at: (607) 254-4545.

Return to Top

Other Transportation Resources


Students who live off campus and/or need to travel to off-campus locations (e.g., doctor or physical therapy) and are prevented from using fixed-route buses because of a disabling condition, Gadabout, TCAT's ADA Paratransit service, may be an option. Gadabout is a curb-to-curb, demand-responsive public transportation service. Approval and scheduling of rides is coordinated through TCAT. Call the ADA Paratransit coordinator at TCAT (607-277-9388, extension 450). Fees charged depend upon points of travel. For more information, see:


TCAT is the Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit system. Information and schedules can be found at:

Taxi Services

Taxi services in Ithaca are: Collegetown Cab (607-588-8888) and Ithaca Dispatch (607-277-7777 or toll free at 1-888-321-1149).

Gannett has arrangements with Ithaca taxi companies to allow students to charge to their bursar bills the fare for a ride to Gannett or other health care facility (e.g., a doctor's office, the Convenient Care Center or Cayuga Medical Center). Just tell the driver you are going for health care services and show your student ID.


FISH is a Tompkins County non-profit providing free local medical and health care transport for county residents in need of assistance. More information is avialable on their website:

Big Red Shuttle

Late night fixed-route service Friday and Saturday evenings serving the Cornell student community. Schedule information available on their website: and Facebook page:

City of Ithaca Accessible Parking Permit Information

The City Clerk's Office, located at 108 Green Street, issues New York State Parking Permits for People with Disabilities to City of Ithaca residents under the regulations of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. These permits are not valid on the Cornell Campus without an additional Cornell accessible parking permit.

To obtain New York State permits you must complete Part I of the permit application and have your Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, or Doctor of Podiatry Medicine either complete Part II, the medical certification, or provide you with a note detailing the nature of your disability, and whether it is a temporary or permanent disability. If your disability is temporary the doctor should also state how long you will need the permit.

Instructions and Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for People With Severe Disabilities:

Information and Application for Metered Parking Waiver for Persons With Severe Disabilities:

Return to Top